Thursday, December 13, 2007

Part 1: Should you always go back to your roots?

Like the title says "Should you always go back to your roots?"

I have lived in the US enough to identify my priorities in life or may be not! Who knows or who cares as some might say. It is an important choice and certainly a difficult one. Before we go into the higher level discussions on what to do, let me discuss the details on what I mean here.

I consider there are three types of cultures in this world: traditional, modern and everything else. Now we understand traditional and we live in modern culture (at least in USA). Everything else is the most important culture of all I must tell you. Because this is what decides who you are and what you are going to do with your life. If you don't belong to everything else, you are missing a lot in life. Everything else (called EE from here on), is what bridges the gap between traditional and modern, the gap between past and future. It is what makes present and what belongs to future.

Now you have a generation which belongs to traditional culture and there is a much faster generation which tries to be modern. I say pretend because I do not want to call it modern unless it has backward compatibility (as it is called in the IT industry). A culture which only belongs to future and has no connection with past is not culture, it is a race with no destination.

With enough said about the modern culture lets get back to the traditional and everything else. In an ideal world the gap between the traditional and everything else should narrow down or completely vanish very quickly to avoid any complications in adapting the change. Most of the time, this does not happen that quickly though.

In the next part of this article, I am going to talk about some real-world scenarios and how they relate to the culture change. In the third and last part of the article I will describe some real stories involving real people, which will clarify a lot of things and hopefully will put my point in perspective. I seriously hope this article will help some of you and help me in understanding this complicated web of culture and family values.

No comments:

Post a Comment