Saturday, April 11, 2009

Maestros in Concert Featuring Pandit Shivkumar Sharma & Zakir Hussain

Date: Friday, April 10, 2009
Presenter: University of California-Santa Cruz
Venue: Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz, CA
Start Time: 7:30 PM

What can I say! I have been a great fan of Pandit Sharma as well as Ustad Zakir Hussain and had the privilege of listening to them perform multiple times (the last time was in Buffalo, NY circa 2005). These two people create three dimensional magic in air.

I bought a CD on the venue to make sure I get their autographs this time (yeah earlier I did meet them but never got autograph). The CD I bought was from Moment Records, which I is Zakir's own company.

So anyways, the bouncer was pretty rude to us and told us that the artists do not want to meet anybody and they want to leave right away. He tried discouraging us as much as he can, but boy did I learn from my past experiences or what! I knew persistence wins after all. We waited for them to come out from the side to get in the car (Rio is a very small theater and considering it is in the middle of downtown Santa Cruz, which is very small anyways, this was hardly a guesswork). We could see both of them getting in their individual cars (may be they were staying at different places etc.). The bouncer was still making sure we don't get to meet them (no idea what was his problem?), but I used the sign language from far to Pandit Sharma for autographs. I am not sure whether he felt it was cold outside or he as just really tired, he ignored us. Zakir was in a car behind Pandit Sharma's and he accepted the request. Not only did he smile (bingo!) but he actually got down of the car, gave us autographs and let us take pictures with him. What a gentleman and down to earth person!

Wah Ustad Wah :)

The bouncer was pissed at us but hey we got what we wanted ...

Here are few pictures of the CD:




No comments:

Post a Comment