Sunday, August 12, 2007

Institution of Marriage: Consumerism???

So I am watching this show called "Koffee with Karan" (yes this Coffee starts with a 'K'), and the guests are Saif and Soha Ali Khan. Usually I like the questions asked, but recently Karan has started irritating me a little with his stupid questions and useless giggling. Anyways, without diverting from the point of this post, I will introduce you to another stupid question and even more stupid answer.

On a question about institution of marriage and whether Soha believes in it, she responded with the weirdest answer I have ever heard: consumerism!!! so you cannot stay with one person and you need multiple partners as a consumer. Hello! give me a break here ... are we losing it or what? Lately Indian culture has been beyond my understanding, it is changing too rapidly which is scary. I agree celebrities have different lifestyles and their thinking does get affected with the the name and fame they get. I just hope that this blind following towards the western culture and quick adaptation for instant gratification is going to lead us nowhere. I wish we learn more from our own culture, and believe me western people are learning more good stuff from our culture than we are learning from them. We keep learning the bad things assuming that is what constitutes the American lifestyle. Come on guys, what we see in the American movies or TV is just one side of the coin. It takes much more than what meets the eyes. The good stuff about being loyal, being honest and working hard for the family and our country is what will *develop* us in the real sense of the word.

Back to the KWK: this was my first indirect interaction with Saif and I found him to be very elegant in answering everything he was asked. I am not sure if he was just being a good actor or he really meant what he said, but being a good actor in itself is rewarding and I think he earned that reward from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment