Saturday, March 29, 2008

Part 2: Should you always go back to your roots?

First of all I apologize for writing the second part after such a long time. It has been a busy year for me so far and looks like it will be busy for a while. I just thought I will update this series before I forget what I initially planned on writing. So here it goes:

I have seen examples where people who arrive in US for the first time decide on staying here indefinitely within few days on landing here. Not that there is something wrong in decided to stay in this country forever, but such a quick decision, especially when this is your first time to a new country, should be condemned. One of my close friend recently told me that just because some people had a good childhood does not mean everybody had one while they were in their home country. So the freedom and the opportunity here in United States makes perfect sense in long term and helps them not remember bad days from past. I sort of agreed on that and feel that probably I will never be able to understand that emotion not being in the same situation.

Another example is of the people who have been in US for many years and have settled down with family and kids and would like to go back. Few years back one of my friend's sister went back with her kid and husband and they are happy back in India. Today, it is a fantastic time to go back to India with the current improvements in the infrastructure and and economy. The growth for India is going to go strong at least for a foreseeable future. We are creating more job opportunities for our people and my last visit to India confirms that we are also working on customer priorities and services, which was always a weak part of Indian culture.

There are also people who are settled here; would like to go back but still have a lot of questions to answer; whther they will be able to find a nice job in India, whether the pay scale be good enough for good quality of life. Believe it or not, some of them even have valid concerns about the drastic change in Indian culture and values in recent 10 years and if they will "fit" well there or not. Personally and Professionally.

The forth class of people are those who are so confused as to what to do? Whether to go back and settle down, or wait few more years and then go back. My theory is the more you wait, the more difficult it becomes to go back and settle. You become used to this culture, you grow old, you become too comfortable with your current situation and of course money is always a big factor. These people are perfect example of EE class (read part 1 for details).

"Dazed and Confused" like the song of that title from my favorite band Led Zeppelin says.

The last part (III) in this series will bring more wisdom to the thoughts of EE and demonstrate the complexity involved in the matter. Hopefully I won't take as much time to write that up.

Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment